Thursday, January 24, 2013

Celebration X's 3

Lord, by your grace, I participated in the 57th Presidential Inauguration.  As a Law Enforcement Officer, it was cold, brutal and exhausting.  Working 16+ hours just isn't normal.  My feet were frozen and my body ached and I was so dehydrated.  I couldn't layer enough clothing to fight the wind and chill.  My finger tips were numb and I was quietly complaining on the inside.  Not good for someone in my position.

But then again, I am in the flesh and as long as I am...I will have a tendency to do that.  However, at the end of the night, after reflecting back and after thawing out...I have to admit that it was truly an amazing event.  The crowds, the unity, the parade, the soldiers, the excitement and the enormous amount of planning that went into making it another "great day" in History.  Not only was he elected for a second term, it was a celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.s' Birthday.

We have to set aside our differences and rejoice as a human race.  We are ALL the same in that regard.  We are so much more alike than we are different.  And whether we "like" or "dislike" our leaders, your word tells us to pray for them.

If all would join in prayer and love our neighbor, just maybe...CRIME would begin to slowly decline and good will override evil.

One can only hope....

BTW:  It was my last Inauguaration.  This fall I will joyfully celebrate 23 years of MPDC.  And by your grace, I will be eligible to retire in "2015."  YAY!!!!!!

4 comments:

Simply Debbie said...

Thank You my sweet friend for your service to help keep our President and the First Lady safe and all those 800,000 people who descended upon Washington. I was amazed at how the crowds were well behaved...you can't even be safe in a sale at Wal mart.
Best wishes with your retirement.
hugs and prayers

A Lady's Life said...

Oh poor you being frozen and all It must have been an exciting day though. It always is when the public comes out this way.Just that danger comes along with it. Retirement is something nice to look forward to.lol I really liked your senior butterfly poem . Aim of writing books is to sell them
I hope you sell many. Don't give them away. I'd be happy to mention it in my blog As I did for Life 101,(Rick Watsons book
:)Did you know that some libraries sell books in order to get revenue and more people to come to use their facilities? I think thats a wonderful idea.

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Hello Debbie and thank you oh so much for stopping by.

I had no idea all the "things" required as a law enforcement officer when I took that oath all those years ago. :-)

Wouldn't trade a single moment.

It was all in His plans.

Love for a great day!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

WOW my Lady,

I so love you. You have supported my many blogs over the years.

That senior poem was written for my mom. We weren't always close and one weekend, we had a sleepover.

It was so much fun and I realized how much I loved her and how much we had in common.

YOU are truly a gifted writer!
I love your poetry and have cut and pasted many and printed as well to read over.

Love you dearly
fsb