Thursday, October 9, 2008

Local hero...

A young woman was stabbed earlier this week in Southeast, Washington. According to the media, she had only lived in the home for about three weeks. I remember hearing the news the next afternoon from my boss and my cheerful attitude and infectious smile turned to disbelief. He said she was stabbed about 17 times. I could not close my mouth in "awe". As I type this, I'm wondering how something like this can still shock me. Just hours before her violent attack, I was monitoring the radio when a series of robberies took place. Of the three that occurred on my watch, one of the victims was immediately transported to the hospital with little chance for survival.

Lord, I know you have a plan for me otherwise I wouldn't be coming up on my 18 year in November, but how does your plan fit into this violent, senseless and increasingly cold blooded society that I'm in the middle of? The weird thing about my job is the fact that for every crime committed, there is at least one tourist in the heart of downtown DC w/a smile and camera posing in front of one of our many historical landmarks.

People really do love this city. And to top it off, the stabbing victim is reported to have said, "she's not leaving DC, she loves it here." She's my hero because I haven't even come close to anything similar to her ordeal and I can't leave fast enough when my shift is over.

PS. my prayers are with you and your family as you recover and "try" to move forward with your life. You are in deed my hero! Peace and blessings.

2 comments:

SLC said...

Hi Free Spirit.
I've been one of those tourists, and crazily enough, today I was thinking about where I'd like to be instead of Virginia. DC crossed my mind, but then Towsend Maryland immediately erased it from my mind. Someone mentioned it before regarding you and Stacy being hero's. I'd have to agree. I hope there are more officers praying for the victims. Have A Wonderful weekend and let me know what the Sunday message was.

SLC

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I'm no hero, maybe to my kids but now in the public eye. I'm scared of my own shadow (smile) If you mean at church, it was "are you robbing god?" Malachi 3:6

We've got protesters coming to town this weekend so pray for a safe demonstration.

L-P&B The butterfly